Sunday, May 24, 2015

Anger

“Anger is an acid that can do more harm to the vessel in which it is stored than to anything on which it is poured.” ~Mark Twain

This saying describes one of the worst things those of us in recovery can engage in.

Anger pollutes our minds and spirits. It ruins our day and clouds our judgement. It's hard on the body.

For this reason I seldom become angry. Not that I don't have emotions. But when I feel anger creeping up on me I quickly change direction.

 But how do I know it's coming?

It's usually happens when I'm afraid or frustrated or feel disrespected.  Maybe I got cut off in traffic. Or else I'm in a conversation and the other person is rude or demanding.

More than once I've asked someone who's raising their voice if I did something to offend them. I might say "It seems like you're angry. Did I say something to offend you?"

Each time I've done this the other person has paused, apologized, then gone on with the conversation. It works every time.

Another way to not indulge in anger is approach the world with an attitude of acceptance, understanding, and forgiveness.  We can view our fellow humans as being just like us. We all have off days. Sometimes we're short with others.  We never know what others are going through.  If we have this perspective then we're less likely to become angry.  It just takes practice.

Those of us in recovery must learn to deal with anger - and all our negative emotions - if we want to enjoy life.