Saturday, May 9, 2015

Ultimate Loss

Over the years I've met many parents who have lost a child to drug overdose.

It's probably one of the more moving experiences I've had in this business. What can we possibly tell someone who's faced such a loss?

I can only tell them I'm sorry. Then there's an awkward silence because it's hard to go anywhere from there.

We can only be supportive and offer our help. But there's little we can say to ease their suffering. We can just be there.

One thing I do use from this experience is to tell other addicts about it. To emphasize to them the impact such a loss has on a family that's torn forever.

Most of us addicts are self-centered and don't consider the effect our use has on others. Our pleasure is our only concern. So what if it has a negative impact on others?

But if we describe the suffering of those left behind it might make a difference. Maybe make an addict think before he puts a needle in his arm.

Click here to email John