Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Reminder

For a few hours after a dental appointment I'm not happy with the results.

There's a bit of discomfort. Nothing painful. But, you know, thinking about my mouth rather than business. Maybe pissed at the dentist.

Then, as I arrive at my next appointment I encounter a strange sight on the sidewalk in front of me. A youngish woman, with crutches and a brace on each limb is moving slowly toward me. She moves jerkily, like an injured spider. Like she has a neurological disorder.

Part of me doesn't want to look. But I make a point of speaking because it's rude to look away simply because I'm uncomfortable.

And she gives me a happy angelic smile as she says hello. There's joy on her face and in her eyes as if she's the happiest person on the planet.

I leave that encounter with a different attitude. Maybe gratitude. Maybe admiration at someone who has such a pleasant demeanor in spite of her challenges.

As I drive off I thank God for the example. Because it rarely fails that when I'm down I encounter a fellow human with real issues.

As a recovering addict it's important for me to remember that I don't always have to feel good. And also that there are many in the world who live with genuine suffering - not the fake kind we addicts like to conjure up.

Click here to email John