Sunday, August 16, 2015

Inflexible?

I believe a key element of staying sober is to be flexible enough to accept change.

And even though I was born before World War II, I've never considered myself inflexible or set in my ways.

In fact, as I was growing up I hated those old farts who had the attitude that things were "better in the old days."

But when I look around the world now I see things I never imagined. So I have to ask myself, "Am I becoming one of those inflexible people?"

Yet when I look around I'm sometimes amazed.

I see unspeakable brutality carried out in the name of a mythical God. People beheaded, drowned, or blown up. Young girls exploited as sex slaves by so-called religious people.

I watch people screaming about racial equality when one of their people gets shot by the police. Yet they barely whisper when their youngsters murder each other by the dozens.

I believe many politicians have always been corrupt. Yet I'm surprised that some of them are leading in the polls during this election season. It's almost like morality doesn't matter as much as likability.

There's more I could rail about. But I'd sound like some inflexible old guy.

So I accept the reality that the world goes through cycles and that perhaps this is just another one.

Sometimes though, the things that occur do stretch the limits of my acceptance.

Click here to email John