Monday, August 3, 2015

Wanting to Help

The man slumped at my desk seemed troubled. He tried to not look me in the eyes. And when he did he looked away.

He'd come to us days earlier from a mental health facility. However, our treatment license doesn't allow us to accept those diagnosed with severe mental illness. Because of this, we were referring him to another facility. Or else back to where he came from.

But it bothered some members of our halfway house staff. Because some who met him said he was pleasant and cooperative. He seemed like many of the others in our halfway houses. They were willing to take him back and work with him. And they wanted me to meet him.

As we talked I realized that he'd connected with a few people at the halfway house. And when he learned that he couldn't go back there or be in our treatment program he was a little down on himself.

He talked about things psychiatrists had said, the labels they'd put on him. His voice rose as he told me some of the things they said were "wrong with him."

"Did they tell you about what was right with you?" I asked when he paused.

And when I said that he seemed surprised. He teared up and looked at me with gratitude. It was like no one had said anything like that in a long time.

Our conversation ended when a cab arrived to take him to another facility. But before he left I gave him my card and told him to call if he ever needed to talk.

I wished we could have helped because we've had success with more than one person with his diagnosis.