Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy Right Now

So if you're reading this it's now 2016. And this is the point where it's customary to say Happy New Year. So here it is: Happy New Year.

Those of you who read this blog might find this kind of flat, coming from me. I'm always upbeat and positive. Almost always.

But the reason I open this way is not because I'm negative. I'm making a point. And it's about having a happy right now. Being happy in this moment. Not the next day, hour, month or year.

At one time I lived life as if right around the next corner I'd be happy. Over the next hill I'd find the rainbow of happiness. Somewhere down the the road.

It was the next job. Or car. Or house. Or relationship. Or bag of dope. Something new and novel - that would bring happiness. The next thing was where it was at. Right now was never okay. That's why I soaked my brain in alcohol and drugs because I didn't like where I was at the moment.

Now I think differently. Right now is not always a bed of roses. But right now is what we have and I've learned to be grateful for it.

Today I make every effort to stay on the path and enjoy the journey. Whether the journey is smooth, or whether it's bumpy.

That way I don't miss life.