Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Willing to Work

Some newcomers to TLC say they can't find a job. They may have a criminal record that kept them locked up for a long time. So long that they haven't developed a work history.

Maybe they don't have a trade other than stealing, prostitution, or selling drugs.

Or perhaps daddy or mommy always paid their way. They might not have had to do chores when they were young. In other words the parents didn't teach them responsibility.

The only good thing my alcoholic father taught me was to work. Living on a farm - as I did from five to twelve - one learned to work with animals and crops. It was hard labor. Or else we didn't eat.

When I came to recovery at 51 years old - with a 16 year prison record - I was willing to do whatever it took to pay my way. I did day labor. Landscaping and ditch digging. I found a bucket and squeegee and washed windows in downtown Mesa on weekends and evenings.

When we're willing to work, the Universe, God, or whatever Higher Power we choose gives us all we can handle.

The key work in the last sentence is "willing."
.
Click here to email John