Saturday, January 30, 2016

Working on Faith

Sometimes people credit me for being a planner. They think I must be cooking up great ideas all the time. New ways to help addicts. However, this is so far from the truth.

Reality is that at times I have no idea how we’ll get through the month. Maybe even the rest of the week. How will we pay our utilities and insurance, a not inconsiderable amount? And while I'm no spiritual giant, I know that somehow we always pay our bills. And have enough left over for bonuses.

I like to credit our success - not to any genius on our part - but instead to plain, simple faith.

I recall an incident, years ago, maybe 15, when Rockie and I threw up our hands and looked at one another. We were flat broke. No one would loan us a penny.  We had several thousand due the next day for utilities and other obligations. We thought about shutting the doors.

Finally one of us said - and I'm not sure who - "Let's give it one more day." And sure enough, the next day we got an overdue payment from somebody, And we were able to meet our obligations.

Planning? Not so much. Faith? Yes, a lot of it. And when we're trying to do things to better the lives of others we get a lot help.

Whether it's God. Our High Power. Or the Universe. We're been able to operate this way for going on 25 years.

And since it's been working I'm not going to mess with it.

Click here to email John