Sunday, January 10, 2016

Winning life's Lottery

I was patiently waiting to pay for coffee yesterday at a convenience store. But for some reason the line seemed longer and slower than usual.

Then I realized it was because people were buying lottery tickets. In fact, the guy in front of me bought $200 worth. As he left I imagined him counting the 900 million he just knew he was going to win.

When it came my turn to pay I told the clerk thank you, but no, I didn't want any. I didn't bother to tell her that I won life's lottery 25 years ago when I got sober.

And that's the way I feel. Because only a small percentage of us heroin addicts and alcoholics get clean. Only a small percentage of us are blessed enough to go on to live a full and productive life.

Now I have nothing against lottery players. It's the American way.

But the idea that more money will bring us happiness is questionable. Maybe pleasure, yes. Maybe a burst of joy when we dive head first into our pile of millions. But then after a few months winners realize that managing money is a real job. In fact, some statistics show the average lottery winner is broke after seven years. Not a great outlook.

My opinion is that for anyone in early recovery a windfall of money could be a death sentence. At TLC we've seen more than one client get an insurance settlement or an inheritance and not live to spend it.

Our problem is not about money, it's about learning how to live in our own skin.

Click here to see the odds of winning the lottery versus becoming president. Or attacked by a shark and other calamities.

Click here to see what happened to 18 lottery winners.