Saturday, August 20, 2016

Bionic

Friday I had the privilege of going to the eye doctor, something I’ve been doing for seventy-five years. All because I didn’t receive proper medical treatment as a child. For a long time I was angry at the world and got my precious glasses broken in the process. And my ass kicked by my father because glasses weren’t cheap in those days,

Back in the day there used to be a a TV series called the “Bionic Man”. And sometimes that’s the way I felt because I couldn’t see very well.

Later on in life I developed other ailments that required medical intervention. For example about seven years ago I developed neuropathy in both feet. And now I wear braces which allow me to move around pretty well. But sometimes I feel sorry for myself because I at one time I could run for 15 miles.

Then my teeth got so bad that I had implants placed in my jaws. More artificial parts. I finally came to terms with a life of artificial parts. In fact I’m actually grateful because I realize how much better I have it than do so many others with similar conditions.  Gratitude carries us a long way.

Oh, yeah, by the way, I found out friday that my next stop is for cataract surgery.