Thursday, August 11, 2016

Grandchildren

One of the benefits of recovery is that my grandchildren have never seen me under the influence. Nor have they had to go to jail to visit me .

And I attribute this good fortune to the fact that I got sober over 25 years ago. Long before many of them were born.

This feels good because we have so many people in our program who share my fortune. They've been sober so long that their children have children who never knew them when they were in the life.

There's an old saying, "apples don't fall far from the tree." And of course it's obvious what it means. Good people raise good progeny.

Today I have a chance to be an example for my grand children. I can help them through college. I can teach them to be a success no matter what their background. My story, which they have heard before can offer proof, no matter what the challenges they face.