Thursday, January 19, 2017

Hurting our Family

A mother shares her grief with me yesterday because her alcoholic son continues to drink. And he's showing no signs of slowing down.  She says he looks terrible.

She's been sending me messages about him for around a year. And I think she's followed some of my advice. Like don't loan or give him money. Don't let him sleep on your couch. Don't loan him your car.

I have no doubt that this woman loves her son. I can hear the emotion and tears in her voice. But I believe for him to really change she needs to continue being tough on him.

She may - by being hard on him - shock him into one day realizing how self centered he's being by continuing to use her. He may realize that life is about others - not him and his journey to self-destruction.

For all of you who are sober now, think back about how you treated your family and friends. When you make your amends list your family should be at the top . Even before you start paying them back.

Help dry their tears.

Click here to email John