Friday, January 6, 2017

Never

Never say never. About anything.

For example, I used to say that I'd never own a dog again. I'd had several when I was young and had become quite attached to them. It was heartbreaking when they would age and die. Or else get run over by a car. Once my father was drunk and called me out to the back porch. He forced me to watch him shoot my young dog in the head because he’d killed one of our hens. That was painful. I think that’s when I said I’d never own another dog.  Maybe my addiction started there, from the buried pain.

But even though I said that I’d never own another, my wife and I ended up with two Chihuahuas, one we've had for around ten years. And it wasn't like I went looking for these dogs. Circumstances just brought them into our lives.

It started when an elderly aunt of mine asked if she could live with me after my Uncle passed. She also wanted to bring her dog, Cuca. And to be kind and loving in her time of grief I said okay. She also asked if I would take care of the dog after her death. And again, I said yes. I mean it would have been hard for me to turn down my 83 year old aunt; my mother’s closest relative.

My Aunt lived another three months before she suddenly died during the night. When I awoke in the morning I found her by her bed – cold to the touch.

So now, once I took care of the arrangements, we had to figure out what to do with the dog. After some discussion we decided to get another dog, one to keep my Aunt's dog company while we were at work. Also to keep my word to her.

And that's when Jose came into our lives a month or so later.

I remember visiting a friend in East Mesa and he told me about a neighbor whose dog had just dropped a litter of Chihuahuas. I gave her a hundred dollars and took the pup. I remember how frightened he was as we drove home with him curled up in my lap.

Also I recall the look on Cuca’s face when I brought the pup home. She had an expression like “what the hell is this?” when she looked at Jose, the pup I bought to be her companion. Eventually, though, Jose won her over with his playfulness and they became best buddies.

Then, mysteriously, Cuca disappeared one night. I looked all through the neighborhood and tacked signs everywhere. But, we never saw her again.

And now we were back in the same dilemma. Only this time I had to find a companion for Jose. And within a week I found the perfect match at a shelter for abused dogs.

But when the cycle will stop again I don’t know. Because now Jose has diabetes and suffers from other ailments. I don’t expect him to be around for long. He’s losing his sight and also a lot of weight.

I don’t want to use the term never because of the way life happens. But losing pets we love can be as painful as losing a human.