Friday, October 25, 2013

Spiritual Awakening

Earlier this week a client who’d been at TLC a few times asked to have a word with me.

I hadn't seen him in some time. And he looked entirely different. He held his head high. He had a look of conviction in his eyes, and seemed much more positive.

"I think I finally got it," he told me, and he pointed to the book he was carrying under his arm. It was a book from the 12-step program.

He went on to tell me that he’d had a spiritual awakening after all this time. He said he was now thoroughly convinced he was an alcoholic and that his life was unmanageable.

Because of my previous experiences with this man it was refreshing to see that he had finally decided he had a problem with alcohol.

During his previous stays in the program his issue was always about getting back to work and rejoining his family. He would leave, then predictably relapse. It was difficult to witness the misery he was going through, the inner turmoil.

I wished him well and went on my way, thinking that he was one of the fortunate ones who come back after continual relapses.

Click here to leave a comment