Saturday, October 5, 2013

Slowing Down...

In the Spanish language a watch doesn't "run," it "walks." Andar is the verb.

And this cultural difference of perception reflects the pace of life here in Puerto Vallarta.

When a native tells you when they'll arrive, they may sometimes use the term "I'll be there in a Mexican minute."

This term can be roughly be interpreted as "I'll be there when you see me, so just relax."   Eight o'clock might mean 8:15 – or 9:00 o’clock.

At first this view of time can be exasperating to us Americans who are used to being on the go. To getting things done.

But within a day, the pace of life, the lack of pressure, kind of overcomes one. It's pretty easy to be won over by the easy tempo, especially when on vacation.

At a sandwich shop the first day we arrived I kept looking at my phone wondering what was taking so long for my order? Why weren't more people working in the kitchen? Don't you know i'm hungry right now?

But within a day I got into sync. I hope I can import this healthy “living in the moment” life view back home to our busy recovery world.