Friday, October 11, 2013

No Worries

Back in the early nineties, when TLC was still young, I recall going to Oregon on vacation and making frequent stops at phone booths.  I wanted to make sure everything was still functioning.   Finally, one of the managers told me to stop calling and enjoy the vacation.   And I did.  Though not without residual anxiety.

These days it’s different.  When we left for Mexico last week I had no concerns about how TLC would function.  Today we have a superb staff of men and women who are focused on performing well.  They are well-versed in how to cope with the challenges presented by 650 recovering addicts.

And they do a great job.  When we returned it was like we’d never been gone.  I’m not sure anyone noticed we’d left.

Were there issues?  Sure. We had a server meltdown a couple of days after our departure that jeopardized some 400,000 client records.  But our computer guys mobilized and things were pretty much back together when we returned.   Had someone not told me about the issue I’d of been unaware of it

And there were the routine daily issues of feeding, housing, and counseling 650 addicts.  But our 80 person staff is like a well-oiled machine – and for that I’m grateful.

In fact we're making plans for our next vacation.