Saturday, February 26, 2011

A famous sitcom star is in the news again. This time because he went too far. During a radio interview he denounced his producers, 12 step programs, and rambled on about other topics. Everyone knew it was only a matter of time before he encountered more problems and created more titillating news. And yesterday the producers announced they were suspending production.

His journey, which has been displayed in the media several times in the last few years, has led him to where addiction and alcoholism eventually leads us all. It doesn't make much difference how famous we are, how much money we have, or how much we think we're above the rules. Eventually, if a person is a real addict or alcoholic, the disease leads to either death, jail, or on the path to recovery.

The difference between me and this man is that he has talent, wealth, and is a household name. If I'd had this man's money I would've gotten into the same kind of trouble or more because I'm so greedy. As soon as I'd possessed the amount of drugs this man reportedly had I likely would've overdosed. Or else I would have been arrested with the drugs and incarcerated. In doesn't make a lot of difference how much money we have or how famous we are. Eventually drugs and alcohol will destroy us – or else lead us to recovery.

In my case I tried over and over again to drink and use like social users. But because I'm a serious alcoholic and drug addict it never worked. It took one more bout of me losing everything again, at the age of 51, to lead me to the rooms of recovery. And I've had a blessed and rich life ever since.

I only hope this man realizes he has a problem with drugs and alcohol. No amount of arrogance or money will overcome that fact. As it says in the literature, science may one day be able to allow an addict or alcoholic to indulge like other people. But it hasn't done so yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment