Thursday, February 17, 2011

“I don’t know what to do with him. He’s passed out in my living room,” the woman told me on the phone.

She'd called me about a former client with whom she’d developed a relationship after he left our program. However, after a few months with her he’d started drinking once more and was making her life miserable.

“Tell him to leave,” I told her.

“I did. I told him to leave a few days ago. But he’s still here.”

I could sense the despair in her voice, feel her pain. She felt guilty about asking him to leave, but had tried nearly everything to get him to stop drinking. Nothing had worked.

I told her of my own descent into alcoholism, how I hadn’t changed until people quit helping me. At first I was angry. I thought they didn’t care. I rationalized that they didn’t know how to party like I did.

However, it was only when I had no where to turn to that I asked God for help. Only then did my life begin to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment