Friday, October 28, 2011

Easier Said Than Done

I recently had dinner with a recovery friend who’d had a heart valve replaced and a pacemaker implanted.  Prior to dinner we talked of his lengthy hospital stay and surgery. The experience had been so daunting that he was going to change his lifestyle. He talked of exercising and following the doctor’s instructions about his diet.

However, once the waitress put the menu in front of us, his resolutions fell to the wayside. His order included a high-fat meat entree along with a bleu cheese salad dressing and cheesecake for dessert.

I didn’t say anything because what others do with their health and their life is not my business. But this illustrated for me how difficult it is to change long ingrained lifestyle habits – even when facing life threatening health issues.

After working some 20 years with clients who’ve quit using drugs and alcohol I’ve come to realize that many are unable – or unwilling - to change other bad habits. When it comes to smoking, not exercising, and eating fast food many don’t have the self-discipline to change - even when they know it’s a good idea.

When I entered sobriety I made a commitment to live life to the fullest. To me that includes hanging out with my family, working, challenging my brain, contributing to the community.  

I can only do this if I remain as healthy and functional as possible – something I practice each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment