Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Spiritual Food

Before coming to Puerto Vallarta on vacation I was asked more than once if I feared coming here because of the well-publicized violence we hear about in America. And my answer was that I wasn’t afraid. I’m not a drug dealer; I don’t have anything to do with smuggling, or cartels or anything criminal. And 97% of those who fall to violence here are part of the criminal underworld that generates so much negativity for this beautiful country.

People here, as are people elsewhere, compassionate and kind. I’ve seen several examples during my seven days here. I was in a large market the other day, looking for an employee to help me find a product when I encountered a tiny man who was stocking shelves. He was maybe three feet tall, had deformed arms and hands, and struggled to do his work. He led me, with some effort, to what I was looking for. When I thanked him, he gave a large smile and said he was happy to be of service.
As I left the store it was with a warm feeling toward the proprietors, who gave on opportunity to one with his challenges. Someone at the corporate level had the compassion – and maybe the business sense - to hire him. I know I’ll shop there again – no matter why he was hired.

While at a stoplight today, a nearly blind man sold tabloids from the median. A companion was helping him stay out of the traffic while he did his work. It was humbling to watch these two, to see the care one showed for the other. I drove away with a newspaper I didn’t want and with gratitude for the lesson in compassion.

Today in the elevator I watched the tenderness a mother displayed to a paralyzed teenager in a wheelchair.

As someone in recovery I find perspective and spiritual nourishment when I see others displaying love and care for others.  When I see these acts it makes me want to be a better person.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I was blown away by the wisdom in this little girl’s words. Moreover, I was amazed by her faith. She was right. I did just need to trust God.
    SPIRITUAL FOOD

    ReplyDelete
  2. God and Jesus want human beings to give thanks, love, and take action to the point that they please God’s and Jesus’ hearts.
    SPIRITUAL FOOD

    ReplyDelete