Wednesday, October 5, 2011

On Vacation?

My sweetheart and I are now in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, beginning a two week vacation at the Paradise Village Resort. Nothing fancy, but a welcome respite from the daily drumbeat of working with recovering people. Once in while we need to refresh and rejuvenate.

So what do I blog about when I don’t have the daily drama provided by TLC clients? I never know until I get to the computer exactly what will show up on the screen. But once I start it just flows. The real job is to see if what appears makes sense. Then it’s a matter of editing, of eliminating redundant words, to try to communicate with as few words as possible.

A friend asked why I do anything while on vacation. But I’m a person who always has more projects on my plate than I can possibly do. It’s not that I want to be crazy busy, but the world offers so many exciting, interesting challenges that I know I’ll never catch up.

There are business opportunities (We’re opening a new outpatient treatment program for our clients.) There are fitness challenges (Can I do more than 25 chin-ups in a set?) There are mental challenges (I’m learning Muse, a new web design software released by Adobe this summer). The point is, there’s always something going on and it’s fun trying to keep up.

My parents’ generation had the dream of retiring at some point and sitting in front of the television and vegetating. And that’s what many of them did. But today’s world offers opportunities to use our faculties and to keep growing all of our lives. I believe us humans are designed to be in motion – both mentally and physically – and I’m doing my best to live by that credo.

I got sober to enjoy life; that’s what I’m doing.

3 comments:

  1. I still enjoy reading your blogs everyday. For me I always get a message. You guys have a fantastic time. I think its really cool you still blog everyday even though your on vacation. So Thanks. Today I am grateful and thankful. I'm really glad I get to be apart of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading my blog and your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have written a very good blog.I had been to Mexico last month.There are so many beautiful places to visit in Mexico.

    Orlando Hotels

    ReplyDelete