Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Asking for Help

The universe must have shifted. Because people were asking for help all day.

Parents. Twenty-somethings. Former clients. The emails and calls came from everywhere.

The ones from family members were coherent. Well-reasoned, balanced. Anyone could understand them.

The ones from those under the influence not so much. It was easy to tell the messages from addicts themselves. Most were hard to understand. Some sent different versions of the same message, trying to get it right.

Whatever the content, I answer whatever comes in. Either personally, or by forwarding it to a staff member. No matter who asks for help - or when - as soon as it hits my email or phone I move on it.

One reason I do that because we help addicts and alcoholics rebuild their lives. That's our mission.

The other reason is because when I finally asked for help someone was there. They reached out and lifted me. They gave directions. They shared their wisdom and resources until I could make it on my own.

The staff and I can do no less for those who need us.