Thursday, February 19, 2015

Here and Now

"I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.” - Mark Twain.

I love this saying because it’s about how many of us spend our time. We fret. We worry. We wonder how things are going to turn out.  Anxiety rules our lives.

Studies show that about half the time our minds wander aimlessly, like homeless bums. And most of that wandering takes us out of the present - where we miss the precious moments of our lives.

“Am I going to get the job?”

“Will she or he like me?

“Am I getting fat?”

"Am I going bald?"

"Why did the boss look at me that way?"

On and on. The chatter is incessant. It never stops. Sometimes it's like living with a maniac. In fact meditation teachers refer to this as "monkey mind" because of the way our thoughts jump around.

But my experience is that most of the things I worry about never occur. Instead, much of the time they turned out better than I would have anticipated.

Today I do my best to stay in the here and now, where the good things happen.

Click here to email John