Friday, March 27, 2015

Forms of Denial

Denial takes many forms. And sometimes they're very subtle.

My favorite is when clients say they have trouble getting sober because they're different from other clients. They can't relate, so they're uncomfortable.

The difference may be racial. It may be religious. It may be social background.

We've had school teachers. Ex- convicts. Lawyers. Rocket scientists. Developmentally disabled. The gamut.

We've had most ethnic groups. White, brown, native, black and some in-between.

We've had every major religion. Including Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims and Jews.

But some of these clients left because they felt like an outsider. That they don't belong. At least that's what they said.

But I believe it has more to do with denial and resistance to change.

Because if one's religion, or ethnicity, or social background were so important why didn't it keep them sober?

Denial says I'm different. I'm special. I'm not like you.

Denial doesn't let us see how we're alike. Because if I see how I'm just like you then maybe I can follow you into recovery. But if I can separate myself from you - for whatever reason - then you can't be my example.

When I got sober I took help from everyone. And I still do.

I don't care if you're green and from outer space. If you can help me over the pain of my addictions then that's all that counts.