Monday, March 2, 2015

Sobriety Time

Does clean and sober time count if one is in prison?

I once heard a man speaking at a meeting who had recently gotten out of jail.

He'd been away for some time. And though he'd been out for only a few months he said he'd been "sober" for three and half years. And I asked myself a question after he said it.

Does the the time we're locked away count toward our sobriety date? In other words, if we're in a sort of sterile environment does it take much will power to stay clean?

I stayed clean for several years while locked up. Even though drugs were available at a high price.

But it wasn't about staying sober. I wanted to stay out of trouble so I could get out. The concept of sobriety never crossed my mind. And the minute I was out it was on.

I guess in the final analysis it depends on the individual.

I mean there's no record keeper checking off the days we've been clean. And if someone stays sober - whatever the reason - why shouldn't it count? And if they count those days toward their recovery, why not?  Really, it’s no one else’s business.

But a different test does come in the real world where one has more freedom to drink and drug.

Click here to email John