Friday, December 16, 2011

Long Term Sobriety


Because TLC has over 600 clients in two states, it's impossible to know them all. The only time I really become acquainted with clients is if they work around the corporate office - or if I pesonally help them get into the program.

This happened last year when I helped a client come to TLC from Florida. I talked to his family for nearly 6 months before they convinced him to come to Arizona. We talked so much we were on a first name basis. Now they periodically make a follow-up call to see how he's doing. The last time they called I’d encountered the man earlier in the day so I was able to give them an update.

And the report was good. Because the client's been working a night shift I hadn’t seen him in a month. When I saw him I was impressed by his demeanor and smile. He was positive, upbeat, and talked about how good his sobriety was going. I was gratified at his progress.

When I talked to his family later they were wondering when he would graduate. I told them that because their relative was older and had spent many years drinking, it might be some time before he is ready to move on. 

I explained that he can leave whenever he wants. He's in our program of his own free will. However, he seems comfortable living in a sober environment.  We have clients who've been with us for over 10 years. Many stay because we become a surrogate family. 

Others are older and don’t have relationships or family to return to. So they're happy living with us and working on their recovery.

For most of them their time with TLC is the longest they’ve been sober.

No comments:

Post a Comment