Sunday, December 4, 2011

Dawn Marries John

Yesterday at 11:00 am I married Dr. Dawn – the woman of my dreams - in Las Vegas, Nevada.

I first laid eyes on Dawn in 2004, when she came to our offices to apply for a therapist’s job. I was immediately enchanted by her beauty and charm and disappointed to learn she was already married. 

We were friends while she worked for TLC and spoke by phone once in a while after she left to start her own clinic.

Then about three years ago we had a chance encounter at a downtown Mesa restaurant.  She told me she’d filed for divorce nearly a year earlier. The rest is history.

After living together for nearly three years we decided to make a commitment. 

The one thing that attracted me to her – other than that she’s so fine- is her love and compassion. When she worked for us I noticed that every day she called her grandmother who at the time was in her late eighties. She called every day until her recent death at 95. She cries when others suffer. To me, that soft side says a lot about her love and concern for others. 

Is she perfect? Of course not. She has some sort of psychological or medical condition involving a diamond deficiency that she’s suffered since I’ve known her. Also, if she doesn’t go to the massage parlor each week she gets sort of cranky. And she’s an escapist; anytime I mention Maui or Puerto Vallarta or San Diego, she starts calling the airline.

But I made a commitment because we’re pretty much on the same page about everything. We’ve both been in recovery nearly 20 years. And we share the same values about many other things – plus we love each other.

3 comments: