Wednesday, December 28, 2011

We admitted we were powerless...

The client sat at the other side of my desk, telling me how great his life is today. He was the picture of health, looking every bit like an up and coming executive on the path to success.
 
He said he loved his job and was spending time helping newcomers to TLC find their way around the program.

He spoke of his sponsor, a man who's legendary in the local recovery community for being a no-nonsense adherent of working the steps and attending meetings. At the moment the sponsor had him doing a "thorough" 4th step - uncovering things about himself he hadn't considered before.

When he left my office I had genuine hope that this client was making progress.  Then the next morning I heard that he'd disappeared during the night. 
 
So, what happened? At one time when clients who seemed to be doing well suddenly relapsed I would go through an agonizing appraisal about whether there was hope for any of us in recovery.

Today I recognize that sometimes relapse is sometimes part of the recovery process. It was for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment