Sunday, December 11, 2011

No Excuse


I'm not into hero worship, but some people do inspire me. And this morning I saw one of them at the fitness center where I work out about six days a week. And no, it wasn't someone who could bench press 400 pounds. There are a few of them there on any given day.

Instead it was a fragile older man who shows up to work out at around 4:30 in the morning. When I first noticed him I thought he was carrying a gym bag while exercising. Instead he was carrying an oxygen machine in one hand, breathing tube connected to his nostrils, while he moved slowly from machine to machine. He doesn't exercise hard, but he’s consistent. Each time I see him I admire his willingness to do something for his health.

Over the years I've seen others who were facing similar challenges. At my previous gym there was a 30 something man named Mike who was battling multiple sclerosis. He was so handicapped that he crawled from one machine to another, and then pulled himself up to do another set. But he was there several days a week, usually arriving by taxi. A few times it was my privilege to give him a ride back to his apartment. And I say privilege, because he was one of the more courageous and inspiring people I've met. He went to that gym for several years, becoming weaker and weaker over time. After a while I didn't see him anymore.

I bring these people up in today's blog because I think it's important for those of us in recovery to take care of ourselves. My life works better when I feel good. I spent so much time destroying my health with negative habits that I do what I can to stay healthy.

When I start whining about being sore or being tired, I look at people like this and realize I have no good reason to not show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment