Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Prayer Power


I was talking with a newcomer who was having trouble with the whole Higher Power thing.

            “As a kid I was passed around to a lot of different relatives and none of them were religious or church people,” he said. “I don’t have a clue about where to begin. I don’t even know how to pray.”

I shared with him what I was taught: keep it simple.

Early on I heard in the rooms that we might try talking to God as if he were a friend. We don’t need formal language. We don’t need a litany. We don’t need a suit or tie.

We can say a silent prayer while riding the bus.  Walking to work. While working. Or doing our chores. The point is not structure, I was told - praying is about intent.

Today I keep it simple.  "Thank you” when I awake in the morning and another “thank you” before I sleep at night.

Rushing to an accident this weekend my prayer was unplanned: “God let them all be okay.”  And they all survived.

I was told God already knows my heart and what I need – but that it’s important for me to have the humility to ask.