Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sometimes I don't realize how good my life is. This came to my attention yesterday when I met a couple at a social event who seemed the epitome of success. They live in a ritzy part of the community, own a business that generates millions, and seem happy.

Yet, when I began talking to the wife I realize that all was not as it appeared. Even though this couple obviously has resources to do whatever they want they seemed to be tethered to their business. I realized this as the wife began excitedly telling me about a two day trip she and her husband are taking to Las Vegas, which is only a few hundred miles from metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona.

"We've never been on a vacation in the 20 years we've been married," she told me. I felt strange when she said that. In fact, it took a moment to sort out my feelings and respond. Then I told her my fiancée and I were leaving soon to spend two weeks at a resort in Mexico. I also told her that we had just returned in December from a 10 day vacation to Maui. Because it wasn't my business how they live I said nothing more. But still, it seemed incomprehensible to me that someone with their resources wouldn't take a vacation every few months.

I believe we should enjoy life every day. I got sober to stop the pain and enjoy life to the fullest. I want to enjoy the fruits of my labor. While I like having stuff I don’t work solely to possess things. I don't believe possessions, in themselves, can bring happiness. For me, experiences bring happiness. Money, homes, businesses, can all bring pleasure. But owning them doesn't make me happy. It's what I do with these things that bring me happiness. And one thing I like to do is vacation. I like to spend time with my sweetheart in exotic locales. I enjoy unwinding after a long bout of work.

To me it's sad to have everything in the world but not be able to enjoy it. Squirreling money away for a future comfortable retirement is great. But I also need to enjoy what I have while I'm healthy enough and young enough to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment