Thursday, September 8, 2011

Their is a Difference

Yesterday at a Labor Day barbecue I saw once again the difference between alcoholics and social drinkers. As an alcoholic with over 20 years of sobriety it was interesting to watch social drinkers have fun. Every once in a while the host would return to the liquor cabinet and pull out a bottle. He’d then put ice in a glass and fill it halfway for the guest who was drinking with him. They drank in a way that I never understood.

Once I opened the bottle of liquor, it never went back in the cabinet. And I didn't spend any time - as they did - discussing the quality of the liquor. If it had alcohol in it my goal was to drink it all as fast as I could. And if anybody else wanted some they’d  have to find me. Because once I got hold of the bottle I would disappear until it was gone. The only way I’d share alcohol was if there was plenty to go around – and that didn't happen very often.

Another interesting aspect of the conversation among those drinking at the party was how they were going to get home. One guest told his wife she'd have to drive because he'd had too much to drink. Agreeing with him, she limited herself to one drink so she could drive them home safely. Their behavior was totally different from mine. As soon as I had a few drinks I thought it was a perfect time to drive. While I was fortunate enough to never get into a serious accident that involved anyone else, it is only by the grace of God I never killed anyone while driving drunk.

Being at this event didn't make me want to drink, but it once again emphasized for me that there is a constitutional difference between so-called normal people and us alcoholics.

No comments:

Post a Comment