Monday, September 19, 2011

We Admitted We Were Powerless...

The first part of the first step says "we admitted we were powerless over alcohol…”  To me this step doesn't just apply to drinking or other substances. It also extends to most other areas of life.

Sometimes I'll be in a counseling session and have this intense desire to impose a solution upon someone who's having problems. Then I have to stop and realize I'm powerless. To me the solution is obvious. But for them, many times, it's like climbing a mountain. So, I make suggestions, try to give them perspective on how to achieve their goals. I can give them all the suggestions I want. However, the outcome is up to them because I have no power.

I only need to look at my own life and remember how many times people wanted to help me change. Even though they had no power their good intentions propelled them to give me suggestions that involved quitting drinking and using drugs. But they couldn't because I wasn't ready. Life hadn't imposed enough penalties upon me. I hadn't spent enough time in jail. I haven't lost enough property or enough relationships. They didn't have the power to change me – only life could do that.

Because their loved ones get sober people sometimes give me or TLC credit. But because I understand how powerless we are I can't pay a lot of attention to their compliments. We only provide an opportunity for people to change. Those who succeed in our program do so because they're doing the hard work. We provide the structure and guidelines; they hopefully take advantage of what we offer.

Our ego says we have power. But life shows us otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment