Friday, November 18, 2011

The Difference


Last night, while dining at a nice restaurant, I again realized the difference between alcoholics and normal drinkers.

A couple at a table behind us ordered drinks before dinner. I was focused on the conversation I was having with my companion, but because the couple were within my range of vision I couldn't help but notice them. And while I was eating it came up for me, out of the blue, that this man was barely touching his drink. In fact, he probably only took two or three sips before their food came. And I noticed that by the end of their meal the glass was still three quarters full. When they left the table the drink remained unfinished.

A normal person probably doesn’t pay attention to something like this. But, because I'm alcoholic, this seemed to be strange to me.  Had it been me, I would've drained the glass the first time I picked it up - then told the waiter to keep them coming. I've never understood anyone who could order a drink and just sip it – let alone leave the glass three quarters full twenty minutes later.

I discussed this with my companion-who's also in the program - and she didn’t understand it either. This illustrates for me that even though I've been sober for over 20 years, my alcoholism is still alive and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment