Tuesday, June 26, 2012

38 Years Sober!


The speaker at last Sunday's meeting was celebrating 38 years of sobriety. He's also been my sponsor for over 15 years.

He tells a moving story about how he got into the program and his experiences over the past 38 years. An interesting anecdote he shared was about going to the doctor for a physical when he had 17 years sober.

 When he returned for the results the doctor asked, "Do you drink?"

            "I used to," he replied.  "But I haven't had a drink for over 17 years."

            "Well you must've drunk an awful lot," the doctor told him. "Because your liver still shows the effects."

He used this story as an example of how he probably wouldn't have been alive today if it hadn't been for the 12 step program.

He talked of his many blessings since getting sober. He was able to complete his career in the recovery field. He's been married 60 years. He has grandchildren – and a great-grandchild.  He spends a lot of time in the rooms working with others.

He’s been a positive influence on my life for many years, acting as a sounding board when things get tough. I’m grateful he’s in my life.

Congratulations on 38 years my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment