Friday, June 29, 2012

Reminiscing


30 years ago this summer I arrived in Phoenix from Orange County, California with some vague drunken idea of trying to change my life. 

However, getting sober at that time didn't work for me. But I'm reminded of it because the temperature was 112+ close to what it might be today. When I stepped from the bus I realized I‘d gone from one version of hell to another, just in a different state. Of course the hell I’d left in Orange County had nothing to do with the weather. It had everything to do with my behavior and what a mess my life become because of drugs and alcohol.

When I got off the bus my ex-wife's words were stuck in my ears: "Just remember, "  she’d told me in a hurtful fashion, "When you get to Phoenix you'll meet yourself at the depot."

Later I realized she was right, but at the time I was thinking about what a cruel bitch she was. After all, I was setting out on a new venture, a venture that would change the course of my life.  But it took me another 8+ years to get in sobriety.  At the time though I just thought she was being hurtful.

After several more drug and alcohol sprees I accepted that I couldn't successfully put foreign substances in my body. I was - and am - different from other people who use drugs and alcohol socially.

And since I entered a detox January 14, 1991 life is immeasurably better.

No comments:

Post a Comment