Monday, May 26, 2014

A Conundrum

A woman applying via email to get into our treatment program begins by listing her challenges. And there are so many that the list goes on for over 300 words. And it's all one sentence.

She has migraines. She has fibromyalgia. She has a crushed disc that's bulging. She has psychological issues, including depression, bipolar disorder, anxiety disorder, and so forth. My head hurts when I read it..

To combat pain she uses benzos, or prescription painkillers. Or street drugs when she can't fill her prescription

Also, she’s living in a car with her 20-year-old son. They're homeless for a while because she can't find a place that will accept her, her son, and her pet cat, Fluffy.

And her question for me is: will we accept her "therapy" cat. She hasn't found a program that accepts cats. And the cat is her only friend, the most important part of her life.

I answer that we can accept her - but the cat has to live elsewhere. We have a policy about pets for a few reasons – one being that some of our clients have pet allergies.

While I have compassion for this woman, I'm left wondering about priorities.

Click here to leave a comment