Sunday, May 25, 2014

Thanks for the Reminder

At Circle K for a coffee this morning and there’s a panhandler. His clothes are grimy and sweat stained. His hair matted and oily. His face says he needs a drink.

I'm grateful because I’m no longer him. I don’t need a bottle of wine. I'm not pacing on the corner nervous and jonesing, waiting for a delivery.

I'm not waking from a fitful sleep, plotting on something to steal. Or checks to forge. Maybe go shoplifting.

No longer do I fear a knock on the door, wondering if it's someone I ripped off. Or a parole officer I’ve been dodging. Or maybe a task force serving a warrant.

Today I'm grateful for peace in my life. I have people around who love me. I have a wife who's happy because I’m sober and clean and loving. The blessings flow.

No cloud of gloom and demoralization follows me.  I live in joy and freedom.

As I leave the store I give him a five to thank him for the reminder.

Click here to leave a comment.