Friday, July 4, 2014

Another Reason for Gratitude

Happy Fourth of July!

For years, holidays never meant much one way or the other. As long as they didn’t get in the way of my using, I was okay.

Back then the best thing about the Fourth was that someone would have a barbecue and there might be plenty of free booze. In that case no one would be critical of how drunk or high I was.

Now life is different.

Today I appreciate our Declaration of Independence from England in 1776 - and the freedoms it brought us.

I go to gratitude. Because my loved ones and I aren’t living in the Mideast or Africa, where life for some is a day-to-day struggle for existence.

Instead I live in a country where I can say whatever about the government without going to jail or disappearing.  Where I have an opportunity to prosper.

I'm grateful to live in a country where I enjoy the blessings of a second chance at life.