Friday, July 18, 2014

Grateful Graduate

The following letter came from a recent graduate:

"Dear TLC,

When I first came to Robson, I had lost – no given up – my children, everything that matters. I no longer had anyone left due to the control drugs had over me.

Then a stranger guided me year from Phoenix to Robson Street. I see now he was an angel as well as one of your staff members. The work that's done here - truly from the depths of my soul - I feel is God's work. I walked onto the property scared, lost, alone and hopeless. The welcome I received was so loving, something I didn't expect for someone like myself.

Unfortunately, I was still a bit delusional and I left three times with only five months of recovery. If it weren't for the compassion and understanding of TLC, which gave me a third chance, I don't know if my children would have a mother today. After coming back– they pushed me harder. But the patience and tolerance it must've taken to handle all my breakdowns and outbursts is unbelievable.

Still, no matter what, I wasn't given up on. Because of that I'm a success. TLC not only provided me with the structure my life desperately needed, it also restored my self-respect. It has brought me closer to my children and my Higher Power. And, most important, it introduced me to the 12-step programs, There, for the first time in my life, I feel safe and comfortable being just me.

They gave me a chance, not to barely survive, but to truly live.

I no longer wish to race to the finish line. Instead I tried to enjoy this new journey with peace of mind and a humble heart. I have purpose now! I'm not only 11 months sober. I'm happy, joyous, and free just for today. I'm now moving into a program where my children can be with me. I cannot put into words how grateful I am for all of you. TLC not only saved my life, it also taught me how to save my own.

Love always,"

 (name omitted for anonymity)