Saturday, July 5, 2014

Not showing Up

When a client missed his appointment yesterday I was mildly surprised.

Surprised, because he used his credit card to finance his evaluation, something he said he couldn't afford.

Besides, he'd called a few days earlier to make sure we still had an appointment. When I assured him we did, even though it was on the Fourth of July, he said he'd be there.

Well I waited well past the time of the appointment, taking care of minor paperwork that had accumulated on my desk. And while I waited, I reflected on my own history when my addiction started becoming serious.

I did the same thing he did. I'd make appointments I didn't keep. Nor would I call – as this client neglected to do. In fact, I don't think anyone expected me to be anywhere on time for any reason.

My life was a series of missed appointments and unfulfilled commitments.

It was only when I stopped showing up for appointments with judges and parole officers that things got serious. I hope this man's life turns around before things get that serious for him.

But I wouldn't count on it.