Monday, July 21, 2014

Learning Moment

A man doesn't behave too well at a 12-step meeting yesterday.

He's makes comments from the floor while others speak. When it's his turn to share he rambles on. Finally, the chairperson glares at him. He gets the message and sits down.

At first, I find myself becoming irritated. But then I catch myself and realize it’s a learning moment.

So what do I learn from someone behaving inappropriately?

In this case, I recognize the challenges that some face in social situations.

I also decide that I shouldn't be judgmental. That I should stay on my own side of the street and pay attention to my own behavior.

It’s also an opportunity for me to appreciate again the design of the twelve-step programs.

The program welcomes anyone who has a desire to quit drinking or using. There's not a lot in the literature about how to behave at a meeting.

As I leave, I’m grateful for the many blessings I’ve received from the program these past 23 years.

Click here to email John