Sunday, July 6, 2014

Lucky Enough?

The sign on the wall of the San Diego condo we’re staying at for the next week reads: “If you’re lucky enough to live at the beach, then you’re lucky enough.”

I’m not sure of the mind-set of whoever made the sign. Maybe he toiled in a sign factory that cranked out thousands of signs.

But I’d like to think it was someone who was grateful for where he lived and who made the small sign to express gratitude.

If I made a sign it would likely say something like “If I’m lucky enough to be alive, then I’m lucky enough.”

Because if I hadn’t gotten sober 23 and a half years ago I would’ve missed all this.

I wouldn’t have met my wife. I wouldn’t have the circle of friends and associates who’ve supported me through years of building our recovery business. I wouldn’t have reunited with my family and know my grandchildren.  I wouldn't be drifting to sleep tonight with the sound of the surf in the background.

Click here to email John