Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Still Struggling

A man who came to us over 21 years ago - when we first opened - is still struggling with our disease.

Over the years he’s used a variety of drugs. This last time he came in – around ten days ago - his drug of choice was alcohol. We found work for him and urged him to focus on recovery.

But over the weekend he disappeared without explanation.

This man has a long battle with his disease. He went from being a highly skilled technician who could get a job on a moment’s notice, to an unemployable street person.

He’s pretty much estranged from his family. He owns nothing. He’s facing criminal charges. His options have become limited.

When I heard he'd left once more before even trying I was sad.

The lesson for me is that if I don’t keep doing what I’m doing I might be right there with him. None of us are unique.

Click here to email John