Saturday, February 6, 2016

Human Being? Or Human Doing?

When I got sober a long time ago I vowed to stop fighting with anyone about anything. A philosophy of total acceptance that took hold as I got deeper into mindfulness and recovery as a way of life.

But I've discovered it's easier said than done. No, I don't fight with anyone about anything. Except myself.

Yet I still mostly think of myself as a human doing, as opposed to a human being. Because I was raised in a place where only the aggressive get ahead, I feel like a loser if I'm not doing something. Not learning something new. Not challenging myself. It's almost a part of my DNA.

I discovered this during the past week during a minor medical procedure. The doctors wanted me off my normal routine. Which meant no going to the office, yoga or gym for a week. I thought "Great, I'll get to lay around for a week, and read, write, and study, and clean up my computer."

But somehow my brain figured out right away that I was doing nothing productive and pushed me into a state of restlessness. I got little or nothing done that I planned on doing. I caught up on nothing.

Eventually, I got around all of it by accepting that my brain just works that way. That's when I got more into being and my neurons settled down.