Thursday, February 11, 2016

What's worth More?

"Have you ever owned a car?" I asked a man in group the other day.

"Of course," he responded. Then he told me the name, year and model of the vehicle.

"What do you think it was worth?" I continued the questioning.

"Maybe $30,000 new," he replied.

"Did you take good care of it? Have it serviced, the oil changed, tires balanced? Regular maintenance? I asked.

"Of course," he said. "I loved that car. I took great care of it."

"So do you think your life is worth more than that car?"

He looked at me as if I were on drugs.

"That's a dumb question," he answered. "Of course it is."

And we went on from there.

I used the above example to make a point with this fellow. He's overweight. He smokes a couple packs a day. He has high blood pressure and diabetes. He eats fast food. He doesn't exercise.

And he doesn't go to the doctor because he "doesn't want to hear any bad news." The bad news he's sure to get someday soon if he doesn't change his lifestyle.

At TLC I encourage clients to do whatever they can to live a healthy life. Many figure that they sacrificed enough when they quit using their favorite substance.

But doesn’t it make sense for us to invest more time and money into ourselves that we do into a piece of inanimate transportation?

Click here to email John