Friday, February 5, 2016

Things Change

Over twenty years ago I went into a small town bank in Arizona to apply for a loan. I had my eye on a small apartment complex. I had plans to fix it up and resell it. Or perhaps operate it for a while and live off the profits.

I was shocked at the loan officer's response.

"This bank wouldn't loan you money if J. Paul Getty cosigned for you." And he said it pretty rudely on top of that.

And of course I shouldn't have been shocked. Everyone in that town knew my story. I was a drug addict on the run from a couple of warrants out of Califonia. I was a three time loser with not a lot to offer the business or work world.

Yet the world can change. It took years for it to do so. But it changed. And it changed because I changed. I got into recovery. I repaid all those I had ripped off. My credit got better.

Instead of me having to look for money, bankers started comng to me to loan money. It goes to show
that things can turn around when we start living right.