Sunday, February 7, 2016

Retire?

A subject that never came up in the circle of addicts I grew up with is retirement. I don't think any of us thought we'd survive that long. So why even talk about it?

It was only recently - when one of my children brought it up, that I even thought of it at all"What would I do with myself at 77? I asked. "Sit on the porch and swat flies?

The suggestion was that I could watch television. Take trips. Get a hobby. Do a lot of things I'd been wanting to do - but couldn't because I'd been working.

But in my case, that's not the situation at all. There's nothing that I want to do that I'm unable to do. I work when I want - and because I like what I'm doing. I go to the office five to six days a week. I go to several different kinds of business and recovery meetings. I'm in my final hours of a 300 hour course to get my mindfulness instructor certification. And I have a mindfulness based stress reduction course lined up to take when this one is finished.

My wife and I take six or seven vacations a year. They range from long weekends to two weeks at a time. Right now we're planning a Panama Canal trip to celebrate my oldest daughter's fiftieth birthday in late May. Plus we might spend a month in Hawaii sometime in August.

So, when looking at all this stuff going on is there anything about retirement that sounds appealing? Not to me...