Sunday, January 2, 2011

I start this New Year with a deep sense of gratitude. Almost 20 years ago today I was homeless, addicted to both alcohol and drugs, broke, and totally demoralized. On the 14th of this month it will be 20 years ago that I walked into a detoxification center determined to change my life.

God was good to me. After 11 days in that detoxification center I was released to start a new life in a halfway house. My stay at the center was a watershed event in my life. While there I admitted I was powerless over alcohol and nearly every other substance I put in my body. I started going to twelve-step meetings and paying attention to what was said. And it's amazing the course my life has taken since then.

After I left that program I spent a year in a halfway house in Mesa, Arizona. I'm eternally grateful to the folks who managed that program because it was the beginning of a new life. I worked for six months at menial jobs. I rode bicycles and buses. I found a job that allowed me to purchase an old car. After nearly a year I decided to start my own halfway house and found an old property I purchased with no money down.

I started taking in addicts and alcoholics who needed help. I was working another job and putting my money into that program. Before long I had 10 residents, then 20, then 50. Within a year and a half there were nearly 300 people living at TLC. Obtaining property and finding beds and feeding so many people was a challenge. But I remained sober through it all. Not only did I remain sober, my life continued to get better.

In fact, it seemed that staying sober was the easy part. I was going to meetings on a regular basis, I was helping others, and had a mission: to help addicts and alcoholics rebuild their lives. Only once was I tempted to use drugs. I got on my knees and asked God for help. Within hours the urge left and I've never had that experience again.

When I got sober I didn't suddenly get smarter or become brilliant. For a moment I had that delusion. But my sponsor told me I hadn't gotten any smarter; he said that I might even have become dumber. He said what did happen is I got out of my own way and was living the way God intended.

My personal life, my program, and my business all grew. It happened because I got clean and sober.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for being! I spoke to you yesterday about my son. We are so grateful for the chance that you are giving him with ontra to your program! There is hope. We are in the process of getting him on a bus to Mesa this week. Congratulations on all that you are and do. Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila,

    Thank you for the comment. Let me know if we can be of further service.

    Best wishes for the New Year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mr. Schwary. It is sch a pleasure to hear yor experience, how you have recovered and you how you have succeeded. I am grateful for T.L.C. for allowing me to begin my recovery in their program. I want to thank you for helping me change my lfe forever but for most of all, for letting me get to know you. Take Care, Sally T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally,

    Best wishes for the New Year. It's great to hear that you're still doing well. Don't be a stranger.

    ReplyDelete