Thursday, January 6, 2011

A mother called me last week seeking help for her son. He was stranded in a Midwestern city at the end of a drug run.

“I called,” she told me, “to see if your program is for real.”

I assured her it was. Then I gave her details of how TLC operates on a basis of tough love and peer counseling.

She explained that her son had once been sober for a few years after spending time in a rehabilitation program, ultimately going to work there. However, after he left he eventually returned to his addictions.

She went on to explain that helping her son through his latest issues had caused her and husband serious financial difficulties. Because of this she said they couldn't continue to help him without jeopardizing their retirement. She was relieved when I confirmed we'd accept him without upfront money.

Her story illustrates the dilemma of some of the parents we’ve dealt with over the past 19 years. They love their children but in many cases are unable to continue to help them through their addictions. The cost of 30 day treatment is often $1,000 a day and more. And, the drain on the family's finances can be even more severe if the parents are supplementing an addiction.

When we finished talking she said she would make arrangements to purchase him a bus ticket to Arizona. I suggested she purchase a non-refundable ticket so her son couldn’t cash it in and buy drugs with the proceeds.

The son called me today prior to boarding the bus to Arizona to confirm we had a bed reserved for him.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you again Mr. Schwary! I don't know what the future will bring but, I do know that when my son steps off that bus in AZ this evening he is being offered another chance. He is as we are incredibly grateful for another chance! We had come to a place without hope, not seeing any more options or possibilities. I know he has to do the footwork on a daily basis for successful recovery, but without a place such as yours that offers people a place to be, live and work and be guided into that recovery...well all I can say is I have been so inspired by this New Hope. I enjoy reading your blog daily for inspiration and so appreciate what you do with your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheila,

    I'm not sure if you son showed up yet. I talked to him last when he was at Tucson bus station.

    ReplyDelete